***THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED***
Payroll & Accounting Assistant
Date of Posting
March 12, 2014
Great Falls - Individual Investor, MTApply Now
The position participates in the processing of the various recurring payrolls as well as any special payroll runs. The position also prepares special payroll, accounting and statistical reports. This position must be able to plan, organize and schedule duties to meet rigid payroll processing deadlines.
A successful candidate will assist with the preparation and processing of all payrolls to ensure the accurate and timely payment of employee earnings. Perform various general accounting functions.
(Including specific Education and License requirements)
- Strong computer skills, proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- 2-3 years of accounting/bookkeeping experience.
- Previous payroll experience preferred.
- Experience with third party payroll software processing systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, accurate and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to operate within strict time constraint.
- Ability to work overtime when needed.
- Basic general knowledge of Federal, State and local tax withholding regulations.
- General knowledge of company and department policies and procedures related to payroll activities.
- Obtain a thorough understanding of payroll processing, payroll systems, and payroll wage and tax laws/regulations.
- Input information for new, current and terminated employees to ensure the accurate and timely reporting of employee information.
- Input and process compensation/payroll amounts, rate changes and bonuses to ensure the accurate and timely payment of employee earnings.
- Enter any changes to the payroll system, including but not limited to: earnings, deductions, taxes, 401(k), sick time, vacation, holiday etc.
- Prepare and distribute checks/direct deposits and manual checks.
- Assist with quarterly closing, including United Way and MT Shares, corresponding reports and W-2 processing at year end.
- Prepare, maintain and create reports from payroll processing systems. Distribute reports to various departments, branches and mangers.
- Enter and process monthly FA data commission adjustments as directed and prepared by the Payroll Manager and Controller.
- Become proficient in working with the commission software processing system.
- Maintain and track 401(k) deferrals and loan payments and forward to Newport for all Davidson Company employees.
- Maintain and submit Flex Spending amounts to Allegiance in a timely manner.
- Maintain parking setup, deductions and reconciliation.
- Prepare and maintain United Way and MT Shares applications on an annual basis.
- Assist in training new employees on payroll procedures, functions and duties.
- Prepare and ensure wire requests for funding the payroll and taxes are submitted by due date for various payroll processing.
- Serve as a resource to company employees regarding payroll related questions and issues. Propose solutions when information is needed or errors occur.
- Responsible for timely submission of Verification of Employment (VOE) to outside vendors.
- Prepare journal entries to post payroll and payroll related transactions to appropriate general ledger accounts.
- Reconcile assigned general ledger accounts for review and approval.
- Provide suggestions to payroll manager, assistant controller and controller to improve business efficiencies and general work flow.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.